Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Can't Help It


All right, I admit it--all my favorite songs are depressing. I've had my music playing on shuffle while E and I decorate, clean, and make cookies for our Christmas party tomorrow, and she was commenting about how all my music is sad. "I know," I said, "but I love it." Eventually, however, when I had my arms elbow deep in dough the song "Love Hurts" by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris came on, and I called for E to skip it, please!, because that song is just too sad for even me. But the next song in the shuffle was The Byrds' "Life in Prison," and the next was something from Ryan Adams' "Heartbreaker" album, and after that some Smiths single, probably "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" followed by equally melancholy songs by Loretta Lynn, Patty Griffin, and Nina Simone. I guess it's time to get out the Christmas music! However, I just got the Modern Skirts album "Catalogue of Generous Men," which is excellent and upbeat--I'm enjoying it tremendously. The new Rosebuds album, meh, not so much--it's just not as inventive as their previous work, although quietly beautiful, I suppose. The last song is quite good. My other new favorite band is Okkervil River. Try their album "The Stand Ins," or, if you like depressing music, "Black Sheep Boy."

No comments: