Friday, October 12, 2007

Poor Me

It may sound crazy, but I've always secretly believed, no matter how much I may talk otherwise, that it is better to be poor than rich. When I say poor, I don't mean extremely homelessly poor, with no medical care or food. I mean having just enough money to meet your needs and not a ton of extra to spend on frivolous things. So now that I am quite poor, I've been thinking about things that I like about it:

1. When I do spend m precious money on something, I treasure it. It's fun to search for the best bargain, and when I find it, I appreciate what I've found more than if I just bought it on a whim. And, I take care of something better if I know it has to last a while. Winter boots, for example. I'm searching for the perfect pair, because I can only afford one pair that will have to last me all winter. When I find them, they will be awesome, and I'll take care of them like my babies.

2. Food tastes better, because I eat less of it, and what I do buy is wholesome, because its usually unprocessed. I've eaten more vegetables since moving here than I have in a long time! Beans and rice are really good for you too.

3. My eyes are open. I take the bus or I walk where I need to go, rather than taking a taxi. That way, I see much more of the city than I would if I were zipping through traffic. I see the small details, such as garden nooks, interesting architectural details, and the interesting people that inhabit such places.

4. I'm more creative. There are a ton of things to do in New York without spending money, but they aren't obvious, so it requires thinking and planning, as well as being flexible and spontaneous, willing to try things I wouldn't think of otherwise.

5. Less to worry about. Because I have no money, I'm not afraid of being robbed. Also, I have less choices I have to make--I already know what I can afford to do or not do. No need to waste time shopping for things I don't need or eating junkfood--I'm out doing important things instead, like spending time with interesting people or reading great books in the beauty of Central Park, for example.

These are just some of the reasons why I like being poor right now. Then again, I've never experienced being rich, so maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about. Still, I think it's healthy to have to work for what I get, and learn how to enjoy life without relying on money.

No comments: