Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wierd

On Friday as I was walking to the subway after work, I stopped to grab a copy of the Onion, and I noticed that someone had inserted a strange drawing into the front of the newspaper dispenser. I pulled it out and this is what I found:


And on the other side it looked this:


I've been puzzling over it all weekend. Sure, it's probably just the crazy byproduct of a demented homeless person... or is it? At first glance the drawing appears to have been done on a sheet of lined notebook paper, and it was, but then it was photocopied and the photocopy was drawn on some more with a blue pen. The artist must have made several of these, with a clear purpose in mind. I'm most intrigued by the "E too Brut-a-a" on the back. This is clearly a reference to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, but why is it being spoken by a cowboy?

I'm going to keep my eye out for more of these drawings, because whoever this artist might be the next Keith Haring or Basquiat. Those guys used to wander around New York in the 80s and draw on things. Then they became famous and their doodles became worth millions. Kind of like Banksy. Actually, he seems like he might be someone more like Daniel Johnston, a sort of visionary but extremely quirky outsider artist. You never know. Plus, I just like it. There are so many interesting parts to it, from the stern policeman's expression to the odd phrases like "I'm just a lad." So I'm saving it.

1 comment:

Donnie Barnes said...

Well, even if it never turns out to be worth anything, it definitely makes for an interesting blog entry.

So what are you doing after school is over? While we'd love to have you back here, I'd be sad to not get to read about your NYC adventures.