Monday, March 3, 2008

Some New and Old Favorites

Today my class visited the Works on Paper Fair at the Armory (it was strange going back there and not having Winter Antiques Show duties!) and I saw some familiar favorites such as:

Alex Katz. I love his work because it is so simple and flat. This is the type of thing I've always tried to accomplish in my own woodblock prints: very minimal, yet very evocative.

Martin Lewis, a fantastic printmaker of the 1930s and 40s. He had an interesting point of view in all his works, and an amazing sense of movement and rhythm. The deep blacks in this drypoint are what printmakers go crazy for!

Kyra Markham is a new name to me, so I'll have to see what I can find out about her. I really liked this print I saw of laundry in the city. You don't see that anymore--and I don't think the laundry would get clean that way these days.

Then, a fantastic artist named Richard Cartwright. He lives in England and works in pastels. I really like his dreamlike landscapes, which have an element of magic to them. Of course, they are much better in real life, because they are huge, and you get a better sense of what the artist was trying to say with this vast and repetitive forest of stick-trees.

No comments: