Saturday, October 20, 2007

Unanswered Questions

I knew that moving to New York would be somewhat of a culture shock. It's a big leap from the South, that's for sure. However, I think I've been adjusting really well. I've always been a fast walker, so I fit right in, especially during the morning commute. Still, after two months of being here, I have some unanswered questions about the city, or maybe just about my neighborhood:

1. Why are there always piles of batteries on the subway tracks? You're waiting for your train, you look around, you look down on the track, and aside from the occasional rat or newspaper, you see batteries. Triple A, double A, batteries of all brands. Every subway stop has them down there, scattered along the track. Are people changing their i-pod batteries while they wait for the train and throwing their batteries down there? Is it some sort of sacrifice to the subway god? Does it give energy to the track?

2. Why is there a man selling incense sticks at every street corner in Harlem? Sometimes they sell candles too, sometimes earrings. But always incense. My theory is that its covering up the scent of other things they sell, but that would seem so obvious...

3. There is a building near my house with a really tall tower and at night the lights in the building are always off except for one small window at the very top of the tower. Every night it is on, and it makes me wonder. Who is up there?

4. At the grocery store, sometimes there are little boys that run up and bag my groceries for me. They look about 8 or 9 years old. Am I supposed to tip them? Is it legal for them to be working?

5. Why do so many New Yorkers have dogs? I know they're cute, but you'll never catch me walking one three times a day or more, with a plastic baggie, picking up it's poop off the sidewalk.

6. Why is my landlady crazy? She stores trash (old magazines and newspapers and other junk) in the first floor apartment of my building. It's such a waste of a beautiful space. And we have to put our garbage in front of the neighbor's stoop on trash day, or else the landlady will come along and sort through it. She's crazy!

It seems like I have more unanswered questions, but its getting late and I can't think of any more right now. Or maybe six is enough. I don't know if I could sleep well if I had many more than that. How about you? What are your unanswered questions?

No comments: