Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Problem

My problem is that I like to do everything, but there's never enough time for it all. I have lists of books I want to read, projects I want to complete, artwork I want to make, places to go, things to try, sights to see, and on and on. Not to brag, but I was blessed with the almost super-human ability of hardly ever becoming bored, which has come in handy over the years. The problem is, when you are interested in everything, what do you choose?

How does one choose what to do first or what to focus on? Okay, I'm not a baby--I know my priorities are things like family, church, and school. But then what comes next? Should I learn how to knit a sweater or spend my time at the museum looking at ancient Egyptian jewelry? Should I invest in calligraphy supplies or tatting thread? Would it be better to crochet curtains for my windows first, or make a rag rug for my floor? I just don't know, and sometimes I just end up wasting my time thinking about the possibilities and don't every actually accomplish anything.

Which is why I'm worried about my Master's thesis. I know I don't have to pick a topic until December or January, but I'm already thinking about all the choices. It seems like most people have one thing they are really interested in, but I love it all. Okay, maybe not ALL, but a lot! So what should I choose? American jewelry or printmaking? Shaker furniture or Mormon craftsmen? Quilting or quill-work? Miniatures or mirrors? Children's book illustrations or circus posters? A single work of art or a whole genre?

My mother would tell me to make a list, with pros and cons and rankings and so forth, so as to gradually narrow it down, so that's probably what I'll end up doing. Maybe if anyone is reading this they can vote in and tell me what I should study. I guess the good news is that no matter what I choose, I will be fascinated by it.

No comments: