Sunday, December 30, 2012

Still Life

Still Life with Goblet and Fruit by Jan Jansz van de Velde
Go now to the North Carolina Museum of Art and see the exhibition of still life paintings on loan from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston!  The exhibit is only here until January 13, so I'm glad I was able to see it.  Still, I feel like going back, because I was needed to give a friend a ride home from the airport, and so didn't have much time to spend looking at all the paintings before I had to leave.

The title "Still Life Masterpieces" is correct, because most of these paintings are true masterpieces, including this one by Jans van de Velde, of blackberries and a glass roemer.  This electronic reproduction does it very little justice.  It is by far one of my most favorite paintings ever, because when you stand in front of it you think you can reach out and actually touch the juicy berries, or see your own reflection in the surface of the clear glass goblet.

The exhibition includes masterpieces by Renoir, Cezanne, Gris, Peto, and many others, almost all of them a pure visual treat.  I highly enjoyed seeing these paintings, and recommend this exhibit to anyone!

No comments: