Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spring-Time in New York

Spring has come to New York! It's beautiful. I'll be walking down the street and become suddenly arrested by the sight of daffodils or yellow and pink tulips or electric blue hyacinths, springing forth from little patches of earth within a huge gray concrete city. In the park, clouds of bright green among long-barren branches signal the emergence of new life. Blossoming trees take my breath away. This morning I walked around Roosevelt Island, where it was warm and sunny enough for people to be out grilling. Pretty soon they'll be turning on the AC and wearing mosquito repellant. For the moment though, it's just right.

Even though I was only gone for a week and a half, since I've returned to New York I feel like I've been gone for a year! Maybe it's the fact that Spring has come to the city that was still in Winter when I left it, or maybe it's the fact that I had such a wonderful time in North Carolina that I forgot all about New York, or maybe it is that I'm no longer working and feel free and renewed. I'm able to wake up each morning and plan my day with things that I want to do and see, and not be tied to a work schedule. This is such a luxury, and so far removed from just a few weeks ago, when I was a slave to my job. The last time I wasn't either working or in school was the year 2000. Eleven years ago. I think I deserve a break! So I plan to enjoy myself this month. Of course there will be things to do like pack and plan, but for the most part, I intend to enjoy these Spring days to the fullest, just soaking in the beauty and energy of this city that is so alive, and sprouting more life each day.

No comments: