Sunday, April 4, 2010

Church of the Crucifixion

Coming upon this church, in the middle of old Harlem brownstones, is like coming across a large mushroom in the woods. You wonder how it happened to grow there, and what it's purpose is. I had to look closely to even see doors on this building, and I wonder how dark it is on the inside. The iron gate around it is spiked, like the spears of Roman soldiers.

Well, today is Easter, so thoughts of the Crucifixion and of the Resurrection have been on my mind. I'm so grateful to know that although Jesus was crucified, He was resurrected, and in so doing he brought about the salvation that makes my life infinitely more meaningful and hopeful. Because of His sacrifice, my sins can be forgiven, and I can be made whole again, spiritually and physically. It is such a profound gospel principle that I can hardly even understand, but my spirit feels hope and joy because of it, and I know it to be true.

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Just Julie said...

Your words always paint the most wonderful pictures and sentiments. Happy Easter!