Thursday, March 4, 2010

Work

Wow! Sorry to be so absent from the blogging world this week. To be honest, I'm just focusing all my attention on finishing my job and moving on with my life. Work has become so difficult, almost unbearable, as the staff has dwindled from 22 people when I first started 2 years ago down to 15 now. That may not seem like a lot, but the positions that have been eliminated or come open have almost all been absorbed by me! So, basically, I'm doing the jobs of five people. And, this week two people are out--one on vacation and one with a health problem. Add to that the task of finding and interviewing candidates for my replacement. There are literally not enough hours in the day for me to accomplish all the things my bosses expect me to do, which is very hard for me, because I have a very strong sense of responsibility towards whatever job I am in. While I realize I can only do so much, I want to do everything and get it all done quickly and well. And, I want things to be organized, clear, and all the loose ends tied up for the next person who comes along. The only way I get through is to remind myself that in eight days I'll be ALL DONE! Well, maybe not all done. My boss has asked if I'd be willing to come back for "special events." That means next month for 5 days, working an off-site show. Of course I said yes, because I'm too responsible! And because I will need money. After all, I've got a wedding to put on. But then, how can I plan a wedding if I'm always working? It's a Catch-22 situation. I demand justice! I'll tell you what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor on the chin at night sneaky with a knife brought up down on the magazine of a battleship sandbagged underhanded in the dark without a word of warning.* Sigh...

*Joseph Heller, Catch-22, chapter 8

1 comment:

Elin said...

I think you need to do some serious money negotiations with them if they want you to come back. Only do it if they are willing to pay you LOTS! Otherwise it would wouldn't be worth it to do all that plus a wedding.