Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Weary Days

In an upper east side apartment, a wilting ivy plant is waiting for me to come and water it. I should have gone to my housecleaning job today after work, but I rushed home instead to see if a package had come from my sister--a box full of homemade fruit leather and Idaho Spuds, that she told me to expect in today's mail. Also, I wanted to watch my Netflix movie: High Noon. I had been looking forward to it all day--watching the movie and eating Idaho Spuds with Peter and Josh. But when I got home, although my movie was waiting, the box was replaced with a notice telling me to go pick it up from the post office. But how am I supposed to go to the post office when I have to work every day? Now I'll have to wake up early and go before work tomorrow. Also, Peter was too busy to let me come over and watch my movie, so all of my plans were dashed, and instead I've just been hiding out in my room, under a warm blanket, working on a crocheted vest for my nephew, hot chocolate in hand, reading a book about two brothers who lived as desperadoes back in the 1870s in Illinois and Nebraska.

My sister called to see if the package had arrived, and we chatted for a little while. In Idaho, her kids are out of school for a week for the potato harvest. In New York, the jewelry & watch business was quiet because of a Jewish holiday whose name I've forgotten but which involves going into your backyard and eating apples, according to my boss. So after work I ate an apple, but mostly just because it has been in the fridge for a really long time and I was tired of looking at it.

No comments: