Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Crochet Love

Maybe it's the cold weather, or maybe I really have become a spinster. All I want to do is crochet. It might be a phase, because I have been through other phases, like the time I was making so many quilts that I couldn't look at clothing in stores without imagining how the fabric would look in a quilt. Recently I've been collecting vintage crochet patterns, like this special issue of Ladies Home Journal from 1976, because they are filled with such unique dresses and sweaters. I even found a pattern for a crocheted swimsuit (I think this was a DON'T pose on America's Next Top Model, though) and a wedding dress! I found this on etsy.com and I love it because it not only has some great crochet patterns, it has detailed instructions on how to do "old-world peasant" embroidery, applique, and the ancient lace technique called "filet guipure." Somehow I have taken it on as a life's mission to keep these dying arts alive. But it's not just the old magazines that have been charming me. I found myself perusing the crochet magazines at Borders today on my lunch break, and I had to buy one for the most darling sweater pattern inside. (Not to mention the crocheted gingerbread house that I would love to make just to taunt Peter with. He was telling me one time about how he doesn't understand why anyone would make a gingerbread house--why not just eat the cookies and candy as they are? Well, if he can't understand that, a completely inedible crocheted version will surely blow his mind! Cue evil maniacal laughter.)

It seems like the European crochet booklets have all the interesting dresses and sweater patterns. I have so many on my to-do list that it's going to take a long time to get to all of them, and before I make things for myself, there are so many things I want to make as gifts for Christmas. I'd better get busy! Actually, I'm almost finished crocheting a sweater vest for my nephew, and next I'm going to make some booties for the new baby of a co-worker. Meanwhile, I really need to make a few hats. Today was the most blustery windy dry-leaves-scuttling-along-sidewalks October day, reminding me that winter is just around the corner. Luckily, I've got plenty of patterns to choose from.

2 comments:

m.o.m said...

In reference to your last blog about apples, I went to our local fruit stand on old 86 to admire all the varieties of pumpkins and had a very pleasant conversation with the old timer there, but that's another story....anyway, he introduced me to the most delicious apple I have ever tasted. It is call "honey crisp". So next time you are near a grocery store, look for a honey crisp apple. It is very delicous. I do know that whole foods has them. Well..happy crocheting!

Elin said...

make me that one dress with the big holes in it like the lady is wearing in the picture!