Saturday, September 12, 2009

Scenes from 125th Street

I know it's old news, but Harlem is still fascinated with Michael Jackson's passing. I heard at least three Michael Jackson songs playing this afternoon as I walked down 125th Street. Outside the Apollo Theater, the memorial continues, and every day new messages are added, or candles lit. Today the rain meant the crowds were small, and I finally had a chance to snap some pictures.



I really like the stencil graffiti, and I think it's really interesting that the artist of the sidewalk painting chose to represent Michael with his ultra-white skin. The black people of Harlem consider Michael one of their own, accepting him the way he chose to look. And maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but I think the heart around "We are the World" kind of looks like the shape of Africa.

No comments: