Monday, March 2, 2009

It's Still Winter

I woke up this morning to a world blanketed deeply in snow. I'm not sure how much it is, not having ventured out into it yet, but they were predicting ten inches. The snowflakes were still thickly falling until just a few minutes ago, and I'm trying to decide if I should get dressed and go out there. It might be fun to take pictures, or at least wander around and enjoy how clean the city looks under fresh snow. In a little while it will all be brown and gray slush. Snow always reminds me of the photography of Michael Kenna. He uses snow as the backdrop for bare minimalist portraits of trees or stark fences. The results are poetic, and so beautiful. There is nothing so simple in New York, however. Every tree is surrounded by buildings, and the fences are lined with litter. But I think I am going to go outside and see how it all looks. Carpe diem.

No comments: