Sunday, December 21, 2008

Church of the Week

This church actually looks somewhat deserted, what with the boarded windows of the building. However, maybe the building is under renovation. I'm intrigued by the X-in square markings on either side of the sign, which may be some kind of construction-work marks. Anyway, the green background on the cross is made of small iridescent tiles which sparkle in the sun. I've also noticed that a lot of small churches around here use glass blocks to form crosses in masonry walls--kind of a poor man's stained glass window effect. This church is on 126th Street somewhere on the East side. I first saw it from the window of a taxi on my way home from the airport after Thanksgiving break. Next week I will post a church with a similar look that I discovered while walking a few weeks ago.

No comments: