Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Foggy Day in New York Town

This morning the fog was obscuring the tops of the skyscrapers in Midtown. I arrived at work early and waited in the mist, thinking about how much it reminded me of the Pacific Northwest, where instead of skyscrapers, the fog blots out the tops of tall pine trees. I wonder if I'll ever live in Oregon again? I love New York, but I don't have any major ties to any specific place right now, other than the fact that most of my family is in North Carolina. So who knows. Nobody knows anything these days--it's a nervous atmosphere in the city right now with the financial crash and the election just around the corner. People don't know what to do. And I don't know how to feel about the big "bailout" because on one hand I do want the nation to have a good economy, but on the other hand this is a capitalist society which means businesses should not be controlled by the government. When they become too entangled, how can it be good? And you hear so many stories about these rich CEOs making off with millions when their companies fail, so is it wise to be handing these people the taxpayer's money?

I can't think about it right now--my head hurts. I've just been staying up too late at night these days, trying to cram my days full of as much stuff as I possibly can, but it's catching up with me! Mostly I just stay up late trying to get itunes to do things it doesn't want to do. I have some ranting to do about itunes, but I'll save it for when I have more energy...

New York is transitioning into autumn. Trini, my super, has been joking that E is already dressed for subzero temps while I'm still walking around in short-sleeves and sandals. I guess I got the Viking genes and E got the Italian in our family. The leaves are starting to change color, and it's been rainy and windy. Too windy for David Blaine, I guess. He's the magician/stuntman guy who has been trying to get attention for hanging upside down in CP, but nobody is buying it. For one thing, that's a stupid thing to do and New Yorkers don't sit well with stupidity. For another, he's been seen taking breaks, so what's with that? The latest I heard is that he's blaming George Bush for interrupting his television spot with a speech on the financial crisis, which caused him to lose his concentration. Ugh. That's all I have to say about that.

No comments: