Friday, August 1, 2008

You Know You're A New Yorker When...

...the tourists drive you crazy! Yesterday I saw a woman tourist taking a picture of a homeless man sleeping in a doorway. Her friends stood in a cluster a "safe" distance away and watched. I don't even know what to think about this, because I have been known to photograph people on the streets myself, but I do it for art (and ask the person's permission if I can) whereas this woman was treating a human as a quaint sight-seeing object. Then again, as I was walking home from work I saw the cutest scene: a bicycle-taxi guy taking a cat-nap in the sun in the backseat of his pedi-cab, sprawled out and oblivious of the world around him, even as a fire engine roared past. Yes, I would have taken a picture of him if I had my camera with me, but I still don't think tourists should be taking pictures of homeless people for fun.

No comments: