Monday, August 18, 2008

Dinner With Joe

The hot weather is back! We had a nice respite for about a week and a half, but today was a reminder that we still have some more August heat to get through before the beauty of autumn. And with the heat, the mosquitoes are back! Ugh. I think one just flew into my ear.

It was my day off today and I was supposed to go to the library and do research, but instead I lazed around the house. I did do some research, but probably not as much as I should have. Nevertheless, it was good to put my house in order, get my room cleaned up, and stay in my pajamas all day.

Well, almost all day... at 6 I got dressed and headed downtown to meet up with my former boss, Joe, who is in town on a buying trip for the gallery. With him is Lizzy, his new jewelry curator. They are staying at a hotel in midtown, so we walked to Osteria Laguna, a nice Italian restaurant, and had a fantastic meal while catching up on each others happenings. It was so good to see Joe again. He has been a tremendous mentor and benefactor to me. It was so fun talking to him. Among other things we talked about the Edwards scandal--I wanted to hear an insider's perspective. It's so tragic that such a stupid mistake has probably cost Edwards his political career. He really disappointed, and broke the trust of, a lot of people in North Carolina.

After dinner and dessert I bid goodbye and good luck to Joe and Lizzy and walked down 42nd Street for a while, because its nice to walk a little bit after dinner. In Bryant Park they were showing the old Superman movie on the big outdoor screen, and I paused for a minute to watch Christopher Reeve. The night breeze felt great.

Back at home I had a few delightful letters in the mail from my little sis. One of them had this painting by Magritte, La Reproduction Interdite. It echoed something I've been thinking about lately. Do you ever stop and realize that you aren't paying any attention to your own self? It's not necessarily a bad thing. For example, I haven't bought makeup in about a year. I still wear it--I just don't really pay attention anymore, or think about it. I used to change my clothes at least 5 or 6 times every morning before going to work, but for the 2 years or so, I just get dressed in the first thing I see and go. I think maturity has something to do with it. And an end of experimentation. I know what looks good on me, and I've gained a confidence in myself that I didn't have in my early 20s, so I don't have to think about it as much. I'm comfortable with myself, and that's such a nice feeling. Plus I don't have to spend as much money on clothes and makeup anymore!

Anyway, this has turned out to be kind of a random post, but who cares.

No comments: