Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bring Me A Figgy Pudding

My new favorite snack is dried figs. I know they look disgusting, but they are actually quite tasty. Lately I've had an inexplicable urge to eat foods that have been cultivated for thousands of years--things you read about in the Bible like olives and figs and honey. Maybe there's a reason these foods have been around for so long. Figs are loaded with vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, and manganese and there are studies that show they may help prevent diseases such as macular degeneration (which has occurred in my family history.)

One of my fondest food memories is from eight years ago when I had the great fortune to spend a summer month in the south of France. One day some friends and I took a train to Monaco and hiked around the hillsides of that beautiful pastel-colored city-state, and for a snack we bought fresh figs. American figs have never been able to compare to that juicy delicious Mediterranean fig! It was succulent and sweet and the closest thing to heaven I have ever tasted. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Lis said...

Fresno representing! Where there are now many, many houses, there used to be many, many fig orchards.

I don't really care for them, though. It's a shame.