Monday, January 14, 2008

School Is Back

Finally, winter break is over and school has resumed. Only, it's not really school just yet. For the first two weeks of our 2nd term, we're interning at the Winter Antiques Show (I would insert a link to the website here...and I've been trying to, but I don't know how) at the Seventh Regiment Armory on Park Avenue, (where, by the way, the National Guard had its infancy). Today we met there at nine in the morning and took a tour of the gorgeous building. Built primarily in a renaissance revival style, it is a tour de force of detailed wood panelling and the most elaborate wrought iron chandeliers you can imagine, which all still feature old-fashioned edison-era lightbulbs, giving the whole place a dim, haunted house feel. That's just in the rooms used for the show offices and stuff. The actual Armory is a huge block-sized room being transformed into booths that various antiques dealers from around the country will fill with the best and finest antiques there are. Today was the first set-up day and the place looked like chaos, but in the next two days it will all be transformed in time for the opening night gala on Thursday. It's going to be a really exciting and busy week! Still, it feels really good to be back with my classmates, and feel like I'm doing something interesting and worthwhile. I'll definitely keep you posted on the behind-the-scenes happenings.

1 comment:

rachel said...

ok, i made a post on my blog about the show tomorrow night. you will love them hardcore. call me and we will make plans: 917.439.8886

ugh, now EVERYONE who reads your blog is going to start calling me and wanting to hang out. whatEVER.