Sunday, January 6, 2008

I'm A Mormon, Yes I Am

Last night was quite memorable in more ways than one, but I prefer to keep most of it to myself while I try to figure it all out. To make a long story short, I was in Brooklyn, meeting up with some out-of-town friends at a hip hotspot in cute Williamsburg. It was to be a gathering of "North Carolinian ex-pats," as I like to think of them, and many of them had never met me.

As I approached the location, I was happy to spot one of my friends outside, with two other guys. We said hello and I was introduced to the others. My friend loves to point out the fact that I'm Mormon when introducing me to new people, especially at bars (and this is my disclaimer: I don't generally hang out at bars as a rule, but if I want to have non-Mormon friends, they tend to hang out in such places, so I'll occasionally make an appearance.) I think he likes basking in the novelty of it, because you don't expect to find a Mormon girl hanging out with guys at a bar. And I don't mind his announcing it, because I'm not ashamed of my church, and if people can see that I'm a normal, good clean-living person and associate that with my faith, then that's a good thing.

But the reaction I got last night was hilarious. This is how it went down:
Friend: "This is Holly, who I was just telling you about. She's a sweet Mormon girl braving big Harlem."
Bar Guy: "You're a Mormon?! I'm sorry." (giving me an empathetic look)
Me: "What are you sorry about? I have nothing to be ashamed of. I'm a Mormon, and actually rather happy about it." (giving him a huge smile)
Bar Guy: "Really?" (He thought I was joking)
Me: "Dyed in the wool, true blue, through and through!" (Okay, so I didn't actually quote Joseph F. Smith, but that would have been awesome. But I did say something of similar effect and spirit, to let him know that yes, I was telling the truth.)

He seemed incredulous, but quickly recovered his "wit" and went on to ask if I wear the "secret underwear." Trying not to roll my eyes, I deflected his question with what I hope was finesse, and let him know that I'd be happy to answer any questions that he had about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Then the subject was changed and we all went inside.

Later, when I was leaving and saying my goodbyes, that particular guy apologized to me and said he hoped I wasn't offended by anything he said. Of course I wasn't, and told him so. In fact, I have always liked sharing the fact that I'm a Mormon with those around me. Even though worldwide membership in the church is rapidly growing, Mormons are still misunderstood by many people, and it surprises me to learn what misconceptions some people hold. I hope that I can be a good example of a Latter-Day Saint, and that as I live my life according to my beliefs, people around me will see the good things that come from my life and associate good things with my church. Because, as it is written, "every good tree bringeth forth good fruit... wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them." (Matthew 7:16-20) And this is my Sunday message.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Dude. I think that's so rude! I would have turned to him and said, "You're not Mormon? Oh, I'm so sorry." And turned around! You, my dear, are a much bigger person than I am.

Actually, I wouldn't have said any of that. First because I'm not Mormon, and second because I talk big in my head but not always so much out of my mouth :)