Monday, October 8, 2007

Sunday Conference

If you don't know by now, I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and there are a few things differences between my church and others. One of them is that we believe in a living prophet, and continuing revelation. God continues to speak to his children, just as he did in biblical times.

We also believe in having our church organized just as it was when Christ was on the earth, with twelve apostles. Twice a year, the whole church gathers for a world-wide conference, and the prophet and the apostles speak, as well as other leaders, and their words are broadcast to hundreds of countries and translated into hundreds of languages. Anyone who wants to can listen or watch live online, too. (www.lds.org)

So, this weekend was conference weekend. It's hard to describe the feelings I have about it, because it's difficult to explain the peace and comfort that it gives me to know that my Father in Heaven loves me, and has given me leaders and teachers to help guide me along. Many of the words in the talks seemed directed at me personally, and I know that other people felt the same way, even though they are going through different trials than I am. There is a holy spirit that reveals truth to those who seek, and through that spirit, I knew that those men were prophets and apostles, and that what they spoke were words that my Heavenly Father wanted me to hear.

The messages were about leading Christian lives of love, charity, service, and faith. There was a focus on the family, and how the most important work to be done in life is within the walls of our own homes. Also, that we ought to be examples of goodness to all around us, showing the compassion and caring that Christ did while upon this earth. These were not thunderous sermons of repentance, but loving counsel of kindness and understanding. I left conference with my lamp of oil refilled, my eyes misty, and a sense of deep trust that the Lord is longing to bless me, if only I will listen.

No comments: