Thursday, October 11, 2007

Raindrops Keep Falling

Ah, the summer is over... It's a good thing I bought an umbrella the other day because today was one of those rainy days that make you want to curl up in front of the fire sipping hot chocolate with a good long book. Unfortunately, I had class on the other side of town.

Luckily, class was at the store of Leigh Keno, of Antiques Roadshow fame, who has a furniture business specializing in late 17th to early 19th century pieces. Sitting with him was actually the perfect thing to do on a rainy day, because his shop was bright and inviting, full of amazing artifacts and friendly associates. Most delightful of all, Mr. Keno was there to ply us with stories of his life as a treasure-hunter. More ebullient and outgoing than his twin Leslie, Leigh is a talker! Ask him a question and he will launch into a story about an amazing find, then head down a tangent that describes the construction of a particularly unusual spice chest, detouring next into another story about growing up, or his experience racing cars for fun. I could have listened all day. Leigh's passion for his field was evident, but what I found most heartening was the fact that he's not just an old furniture snob. He loves and collects all kinds of other things from antique stoneware jugs, to cast iron door handles, to 20th century paintings.

Plus, he is a genuinely nice person who succeeds in the competitive art world while maintaining a very high standard of ethics. Let's just say Leigh Keno is my new hero.

Also today I saw the amazing period rooms at the Museum of the City of New York. Ranging from a 17th century Dutch interior to the opulent rooms of the Victorian elite, this museum has a surprisingly rich collection of furniture, textiles, silver, and ceramic. It was quite illuminating and educational to see their displays, described so excellently by curator Debbie Waters, who also tought my class how to distinguish between an early 19th century klismos chair and a 20th century reproduction. I think I'm starting to get a handle on this furniture stuff.

Back outside in the bleakness of a torrential downpour, I ran to catch the bus, which of course stopped in front of a huge puddle! Finally arriving home in the late afternoon I was soaked from the knees down and ready to curl up with my hot chocolate and... homework.

No comments: