Friday, September 21, 2007

The Reason

Okay, so now that I have this blog I've been asking myself why I started it in the first place. So here are my reasons to have a blog:

1. (Don't laugh!) To counteract the filth that is on the internet with something uplifting, nice, non-commercial, non-vulgar. I guess it's like planting wildflower seeds--you hope they'll spread and drown out the weeds.

2. To talk, because its fun to hear (or read) oneself talk. (I've been struggling with the vanity thing--and I know its vain to assume people are going to want to read what I write here, but then again, why wouldn't they want to know what I have to say? I'm not going to be just talking about myself the whole time.)

3. To create a sort of journal of my time in New York, because lately I've been horrible at writing in a journal, and I miss it. This very afternoon I discovered a journal I started in 2006, that only had two pages written!

4. To let people that are interested in me know what I've been doing and thinking about.

5. To keep track of ideas that I have, as well as thoughts and feelings, because it helps to understand something if you write it down and flesh it out.

6. To practice my writing skills.

I think my main answer is #1, because lately I've been sort of overwhelmed by the mass commercialization in this nation. Perhaps its just here in the city that every surface in view is plastered in advertisement of some sort. And people everywhere you look are wearing clothing with giant advertisements for the brand. They think they are showing their good taste and wealth by broadcasting their Bebe or Hollister clothing, but in fact they are paying to be billboards for those companies. It's ridiculous. So, not to rant, I'm just saying that I'm happy my blog doesn't have any annoying Flash ads or popups or such. Hopefully you are glad as well.

And as far as filth is concerned--I am all for free speech and freedom of expression. However, I think that personally a moral line must be drawn. I wish to support beauty, innocence, purity, intelligence, faith, and all those other standards that have flown out the window with "anonymous" internet life. Things that make you happy rather than titillated, joyful rather than ashamed. What do you think? Too quixotic? Never deny that you are Dulcinea, my friend.

No comments: